Monday, March 4, 2013

Dragon Gets A Head


Inspired by a close-up photo of an iguana in a science magazine, I created this iguaniform dragon with a long non-iguanid neck. Then I realized that by extending the neck to make it a dragon, there was no room for its head. So do I stay with a headless dragon? I thought of bending the snaky neck around so the dragon could look back into the frame, but it still wouldn't fit or look right. 

So I scanned the original ink drawing, and through the marvel of Photoshop I placed it on a new "panel" with room for the dragon's head. Then I drew it in with my Wacom tablet and digital inking. Now the dragon has gotten ahead. Or has got a head. Or any other rude pun that I wouldn't make on "Art By-Products."

Original drawing is Pitt drawing pens on sketchbook page, 3 1/2" x 4", March 4, 2013.

No comments: