Friday, March 29, 2013

City of Amber study


In the Zelazny series, the royal city of Amber was located on a mountain inside of which was the "Pattern," the magical blueprint of the original reality universe. The princes and princesses had to walk this pattern like a labyrinth to gain their universe-shifting powers. My original concept for the City of Amber was a European hill town with the castle and the cathedral at its summit. This was one of the studies I made of the city. After I did this one I decided that my concepts of the City were too "village-y" and not magnificent enough. Many years later I did my definitive concept of the City of  Amber on commission from some of my best patrons.

"Amber City" is ink and watercolor on illustration board, about 6" x 11", April 1981.

No comments: