Saturday, February 23, 2013

Sunflower Knight


I've always been fascinated by armor, even when I was a young kid. I used to draw Roman and medieval warriors in the margins of my notebooks. I still love drawing armor and warriors, now with more fantasy or science-fiction influence. This knight is drawn from Renaissance woodcuts of parade armor, which is decorative only and not meant for warfare. This picture is done in what I call my "storybook style" which I've used for miniatures all along. 

"Sunflower Knight" was part of a set of little pictures that I whipped up for Balticon in 2001. I would enter a convention with lots of small pictures and a couple of larger ones. Sometimes I would sell them. But nowadays due to many factors, especially my day job, I have not had the time or the energy to produce these pieces. And I cannot count on selling them either. I won't be exhibiting at Balticon this year, and I don't have the money for a weekend's worth of hotel stay either. I may try to show up there only on Saturday, to see my friends, but nothing more, since I work on Sundays. I have a lot of questions as to where my art is going, and no good solution for them right now.

"Sunflower Knight" is ink and watercolor on illustration board, 10" x 8", spring 2001.

2 comments:

Tristan Alexander said...

I love this and am very disapointed to hear you won't be showing at Balticon this year! Do you still have this picture? If so, how much do you want for it?

We still need to get your winery book started!

Pyracantha said...

Tristan, I have no record of it selling so "Sunflower Knight" may be in my archives somewhere. If not, I can always print you out a nice print for a low price.

As for the winery book I had almost forgotten, given how my life has been in the last four months but how do you start? Do I put finished pages together in Photoshop? E-mail me privately and you can help me start.