Monday, January 14, 2013

Sacred Space Star




"Go and catch a falling star,
    Get with child a mandrake root,
Tell me where all past years are,
    Or who cleft the devil's foot,
Teach me to hear mermaids singing,
Or to keep off envy's stinging,
            And find
            What wind
Serves to advance an honest mind...."  (John Donne)

"Sacred Space" was a Pagan and New Age convention that ran for about 10 years in the Washington-Baltimore area. I did a lot of work for it including the T- shirt design and program book cover (same art used for both). This was the last one that I did for them, in 2003. The theme that year was "Mysteries of the Night" and I was inspired by John Donne's poem for my falling star motif. The magical language of the poem seemed appropriate to the convention. The lady in the drawing is inspired by my friend Julianne, who attended some of the conventions.  She is surrounded by the signs of the zodiac in an archway above her. "Sacred Space" is no longer being held, though every so often there is a vague attempt to revive it. Most of the people who ran it and attended it have moved on to other interests.

Ink and computer graphics on Bristol board, 11" x 14", April 2003.

No comments: