Saturday, August 25, 2012

Shenandoah Vineyards


The last winery I visited on this August journey was Shenandoah Vineyards, situated in the irresistibly picturesque Shenandoah Valley. That day was a rainy day and clouds obscured the tops of the hills. I did my usual tasting and sipping and sat out on their vine-draped upper porch to do this panoramic view. Colored pencils can be used almost like paint, since their leads are made out of wax which can be blended in layers on the paper surface. As always, I tried to make the most accurate color matching with my pencils, including the brownish areas of trees which had been troubled by excessive heat. The grape-laden vines were a vivid yellow-green that seemed brighter even than my pencils could portray. By the time I finished this drawing, the clouds had lifted from the mountains and the sunlight was returning.


Here's a picture of my drawing set-up at Shenandoah. You can see the unfinished drawing in my sketchbook, as well as the brown Pitt technical pen and my colored pencils in their elastic loop-secured cases. The wine in the glass is Shenandoah's "Fiesta," a sweet red blend that includes Concord grapes. It's delicious and I brought home a bottle. 

Click on the drawing to see a larger view. Sip Fiesta wine when appropriate.

No comments: