Monday, August 27, 2012

Big Mistake in Strasburg


My last stop before returning home was Strasburg, Virginia, a small town at the foot of the northern Blue Ridge. It has plenty of history from the 18th and 19th centuries, but it remains almost as dormant as Lovingston to the south. There are some good 19th century commercial buildings in the downtown area, as well as this one here, from around 1900, which is the "Hotel Strasburg" where I stayed. The hotel is done up in Victorian style and has a fairly good restaurant as well. I stayed there when on my West Virginia tour of 2009. It's real cozy. 

Naturally I wanted to draw its Victorian facade so I sat on my mini stool across the street in front and drew. I managed to get most of the upper story of the hotel drawn before I realized that I had made a big mistake. It was such a big mistake that it caused me to abandon the drawing. Can you spot it? Well, let me show you. There should be two windows with shutters, one on either side of the central upper pediment porch. But I have only allowed room for one, as seen on the left side behind the flag. I ran out of space to draw the window on the other side! I left an indication of half a window on that side, which looks stupid to anyone aware of architectural drawing. Well maybe next time I will take more care on the proportions of my buildings.

Pitt black ink technical pen on sketchbook page, about 6" x 9", August 19th, 2012.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

OH NO!! Pyra made a mistake on a building! The world will END!! LOL Nice to know you are not perfect when it comes to drawing buildings...you are so good that sometimes I have doubted you could mess one up!