Monday, July 16, 2012

Mexican Menu Space Abstraction


You few faithful viewers of this Blog have probably seen my geometric space abstractions here. They are not a new style for me as I have been doing them for most of my artistic life. But I usually didn't make them larger than a postcard. This Paco's Taco board is an experiment in making a bigger abstraction and combining it with words. The motifs of Earth and Space, which I commonly use, are there along with the starry black cosmos. My typeface and writing could have been more legible, but this was just an early attempt. The photo is old and faded and I am not sure what color all those lavender areas were. It might have been grey. All my photos of the Mexican menu signs were inferior from the beginning as I had to take them inside my living room with a single weak flash attachment. It was just too cold to set them up outside in sunlight, which was my usual way of photographing artworks. At least I preserved some idea of what my Mexican Menu Masterworks looked like.

Markers on posterboard, 21" x 13", winter 1979-80. Somewhat restored in Photoshop. You can only do so much.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

Ah, so this is not a new idea for you (the geometrics)...I wondered when I saw this if this was an erly attempt at it!