Sunday, June 17, 2012

Chat at Chateau O'Brien


Chateau O'Brien is one of my favorite Northern Virginia wineries. Their wines are all rich in flavor and they specialize in red varieties such as Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. The vines are all on their site and you can see them wherever you turn. The wine tasting and event house is an eccentric piece of architecture with a round turret and wine deck, with both outdoor and covered patio seating. I drew the sights and sipped the wine from my spot on the patio. I included the gateway down the hill with its red roof, a wine barrel with plant container, and a stray calico cat who hangs around the place, probably being fed by customers. So Chateau O'Brien has a chat, if you pardon my French. More accurately would be "chatte" as this is a lady cat.

Pitt brown drawing pen and real old-fashioned colored pencil, no iPad, on sketchbook page, about 10" x 6", June 16, 2012.

2 comments:

Tristan Alexander said...

Very pastoral...or is it bucolic?

Pyracantha said...

Tristan: Both "pastoral" and "bucolic" come from the Greek words for shepherd or cattle. "Bucolic" contains the word for "cow" so I would expect to find cows in a bucolic setting. I think Chateau O'Brien could be described as "viniferous," or suitable for winemaking.