Saturday, May 19, 2012

Mexican Menu Aubrey Beardsley


I bet Aubrey Beardsley never thought his illustration for Salome would be used on a Mexican menu board. But maybe he would have approved of it, because he was part of cafe society back in his day, just as Art Nouveau defined the French advertising, decorative arts, and menus of its day. This was my "Art Nouveau" Mexican menu for Paco's Tacos, where I had a good time with Art Nouveau typefaces as well. I still have all my fancy font books, maybe I can use some of these fonts in our new manager's Trader Joe signs.

Yeah, bloggers shouldn't apologize, it's bad bloggery, but I must anyway. I know I've been posting far too many "vintage" pictures, but I don't have new material or sketches for you right now. I'm too busy trying to finish the Big Picture, and even so I don't think I'll have it done by Balticon. I will have to show it unfinished, probably without some of the metallic border elements. The artist hasn't done very well these last months, but it will eventually get finished.

Beardsley Salome lunch special sign is markers on posterboard, 22" x 13", winter 1979. Heavily restored in Photoshop from a terrible photograph.

No comments: