Thursday, April 19, 2012

Airplane in the Mall


I went shopping in the local Mall (Tysons Corner Center) and was surprised to find an airplane parked in the lower level. It was sitting on a carpet of straw in a rustic-themed stage set. The plane was a brilliant orange with black areas which made me glad as that is my favorite color combination. The plane was decorated with advertising for Hamilton Watches and there was a sign saying that it was there to represent this old brand of timepieces which are used in aviation. Here's a watch collecting site which explains the presence of the airplane in the mall.

I don't think the airplane flew into the mall. The Websites which mention this ad campaign say that the plane is actually a scaled down mock-up and is not airworthy. But if you go to the Hamilton watch site, you can see another orange and black plane being flown in aerobatic maneuvers among the spires of the Alps.

I drew this in my sketchbook as mall-goers appreciated the plane and took each other's picture in front of it with their cellphone cameras. I used a black fine point Pitt drawing pen on my 10" x 7" sketchbook page, then scanned it at home and added color in Photoshop. April 18, 2012.

No comments: