Monday, April 23, 2012

Ailinn the Harper



This was a commission for a character portrait that one fan gave to his friend, who had created the character. The tale, which as far as I know was never finished, let alone published, was set in the 16th century somewhere in the British Isles and starred this fellow, a blind (or visually impaired, perhaps) harper. I was given very specific data so that I could do the portrait exactly as the author wanted. But I never got to read any text. I was given the character's name: Ailinn the Harper.

This figure was derived from a photograph I took of a real costumer playing the role of a harper. Occasionally I've been able to persuade costumers to pose for me wearing all sorts of outfits and using lots of props or weapons. I have an extensive library of poses that I really should find and go through, just in case someone commissions a character portrait from me again.

"Ailinn the Harper" is ink and watercolor on Arches illustration board, 7" x 10", April 1993.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

Love the costume and harp!