Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Memories of Killraven



As most of you know, I've always been a big comics fan, especially Marvel. In the 1970s and occasionally in later years, Marvel ran stories about a freedom-fighting hero in a post-apocalyptic Earth which had been conquered by aliens. He was "Killraven" and he was originally drawn by the wonderful P. Craig Russell. This is my rendition of the character. He was supposed to be about 18 years old so I imagined him leaner and lighter than the bruiser which later artists depicted. He had the flame-red hair of a true hero and could use all sorts of weapons. And he was a male fantasy character dressed in skimpy and rather ridiculous costumes. No one surpassed P. Craig Russell's version of the story, no matter how many artists tried it.

I used an action shot of tennis champion Bjorn Borg as a model for my Killraven. I'd love to do a Killraven character portrait again after all these years. My figure drawing might be better than this one, but maybe not.

Killraven is ink and watercolor on Fabriano paper, 9" x 8", summer 1981.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

I have not heard that name in a long time. I Loved Killraven (because of P.Craig Russells art), yo know he has a blog? Anyway, nice picture!