Friday, February 3, 2012

Dragon Details



Here's a series of dragon details and facial expressions, adapted from Jessica Peffer's "how-to" book on drawing dragons. She assumes that dragons are intelligent and have emotions that we could understand, and also that dragons have expressions similar to ours which can communicate a dragon's feelings. So I've copied and adapted some expressive eyes, and faces which convey sarcasm (center), peacefulness (lower left) and laughter (lower right). Peffer captions the laughing dragon "I just ate the artist!"

I will sound silly saying this, but I believe in totem or symbolic animals, the "daemon" of the "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Philip Pullman. I believe everyone really does have a totem animal, but you just can't see ours. And you can have more than one if you need to. My animal totem has for a long time been a lovable but lazy housecat, a well-fed beast with a black coat but white paws and chin, a "tuxedo cat." But I am at a time in my life when I need a stronger ally. I would like to request a Dragon for a Daemon, one who will get along with the cat and not eat him. If anyone knows how you adopt a friendly Dragon, please advise.

Dragon details are in pencil on an 8 1/2" x 11" sketchbook page.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

I like the eyes. The heads though look a bit bulky and the necks are very thick looking.