Monday, January 2, 2012

Sky Hunt



As you know, I am very fond of "sequential art" and want to keep doing it. I haven't been very successful in continuing my graphic novels, and I am still looking for a way to work on them despite everything else going on in my life. Meanwhile I experiment with markers. There are such things as "abstract sequential art" in which there is no dialogue or recognizable characters, but there is still a sequence of events. This is what I am experimenting with here. A wide selection of these was published in 2009, in the artsy book "Abstract Comics" edited by Andre Molotiu. Most of them are in the "fine arts" genre, but some of them, such as the vintage entry from the famous cartoonist R.Crumb, are heavily pop-influenced. It's an interesting way to approach sequential art, which has been up until recently reviled in America as stupid and childish "comic books."

This sequence here, "Sky Hunt," is inspired by a bird seizing its prey in the air. It's natural-historical but also abstract-arty. The smaller black-bordered bar near the blue circles is meant to suggest the bird's calls.

"Sky Hunt" is 7" x 8 1/2", markers and colored pencil on sketchbook page, January 2, 2012.

No comments: