Tuesday, January 3, 2012

My Friends Were Vampires: miniatures



My miniature portraits often featured couples in a fantasy or historical identity. But sometimes I was asked to portray them as Undead Creatures, or vampires. This pair of women had a wide-ranging interest in vampires. They played them in role-playing games, they wrote vampire fiction, and they commissioned me to illustrate it. Here are my portraits of the sanguinary ladies. This was long enough ago that I have lost track of them. I don't know if they are still together. Katheryn, on the right, changed her name to a poetic Tolkien-Elvish name, by which she is known nowadays. This was one of the inspirations that moved me to take my new name, "Pyracantha." If she could do it, so could I, and possibly for the same reasons, that I wish to have a poetic new name that didn't have any of the ugly associations that come to me with my old given name.

Vampire couple are the usual miniature portrait configuration; created in January 1990.

No comments: