Friday, December 9, 2011

I can has Leesburg



This Leesburg landmark, the Stephen Donaldson Silversmith house, is right across the street from the gallery where my architectural studies are now on the wall. It's said to date from 1700 although obviously rebuilt many times. It was part of the Loudoun County Museum with historical displays and a gift shop inside but is currently closed and unused. When it was being used it looked well-restored and kind of cozy. I don't think I could fit all my stuff and my book collection into it, if they wanted to rent it to me. I still think it looks like Lincoln Logs and also, the Balsam Incense Cabin, those house-shaped wooden boxes, sold in New England tourist traps. You burned pine resin incense in them and the suspicious-smelling smoke came out the chimney. I miss it. I want to log in.

Donaldson house is ink and watercolor on Fabriano paper, about 10" x 8", fall 2011.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

It reminds me of the Lincoln cabin in Illiois. I guess they all look alike!