Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Audient Void



I do album covers for my ambient music-making friends. Well, they are virtual album covers as they will never be printed on CD labels and no CD will be produced. All the sounds are directly downloaded to the listener's computer. Nevertheless the identifying illustrations are done in a square format which could be printed if you wanted to.

"Tange" is a Scottish musician, inspired by "Tangerine Dream," who creates long spacey pieces of electronic sound, some with a beat and some without. I've already done a couple of album covers for him and this is another one. "I will tell the audient void" is a quote from H.P. Lovecraft but the quality of the two pieces in this album isn't scary or Lovecraftian at all, it's like gazing into the ripples in a pool of starry water. I tried to get that feeling with this digital abstraction. This is only a first draft, so he may ask for some changes. Eventually he will release this album, with or without the writing on the "cover" art.

Tange's album cover is Photoshop, 4.8" x 4.8", September 8, 2011.

2 comments:

Joel said...

Looking great Alto. I love that I can't tell when the water ends and the stars begin :) :) :)

Mike (Altus) said...

Nice work. There's something I really like in the colour palette.