Sunday, August 14, 2011

Return to Poplar Hill



I took a short 3-day vacation in Central Virginia, visiting wineries and making small art. I stayed at my chosen corner of Paradise, the Inn on Poplar Hill. This bed and breakfast inn is in the town of Orange, VA and is owned and maintained by a wonderful kind couple who are the best hosts. They provide a gourmet multi-course breakfast and homebaked cookies as well. I did a lot of driving through green countryside on winding roads, photographing and observing.

I did this watercolor within an hour of arriving at the Inn. Can't waste that golden August evening light, after all. I sat on the tailgate of my car and painted. Plein air, baby! I think I matched the August colors on this one precisely. This is an old barn on their property. Note the sleeping cat in the foreground. More to come tomorrow and afterward.

Watercolor is about 10" x 8", August 10, 2011. Click on the pic for a somewhat larger view.

No comments: