Thursday, June 9, 2011

Geometric excerpt sky



I try not to post too many vintage pieces in a row, so here's part of something I'm working on now. You can't see the whole thing yet because it is not done. There is much more to do on this. Sky blue is one of my favorite colors anyway, I wouldn't mind making a whole panel full of it. This originated with a "wire-frame" geometric design in Adobe Illustrator which I then colored in with Photoshop. I designate the shapes with the "edge-finding" tool and then am able to paint digitally within the selected area. Any stray bits (pixels) can be corrected later. It is faster than acrylic because you don't have to wait for it to dry. But it is still just as painstaking when it comes to detail and texture. One thing lacking in digital work is that I can't use iridescent or metallic paint, so I simulate it with texture "brushwork."

The final piece will be quite different, so stay tuned.

No comments: