Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Dog and Cat Portrait Miniature



Vicki was a Boston fan who commissioned a nametag miniature from me. Instead of her own portrait or a fantasy character, she requested a portrait of her dog and cat. She gave me a photograph to work from and this was the result. I added spring flowers and a collar of flowers around the dog's neck. I still do pet portraits but they are larger now.

Vicki's dog and cat are depicted in ink and watercolor on Fabriano paper, 3 1/2" x 2 1/4", Spring 1979.

PostNote: Have you wondered what "Fabriano paper" is? No? Well, I'll tell you anyway. Fabriano paper is made from cotton fibers in Italy. The company which makes the paper has been in existence since the 13th century, amazingly. The paper is thick and absorbent, and also takes ink drawings well without the ink spreading or oozing. It is a very nice surface for watercolor over ink painting. I still use it after more than 700 years (I mean, 34 years...). Is anyone reading this? What do I have to do to get someone to comment on my work here? How about a kitty and a doggie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is usually too hot here to do much more than gaze upon the By-Product. Some of your many fans may be on vacation?

Rae Trigg said...

I've been reading - I just don't usually comment much.