Saturday, April 2, 2011

"The Flag of the USA is Pink and Black"



The title of this piece needs a little explanation. Well, a lot of explanation. After creating an iris plus abstraction piece for my gallery series, using a pink, purple, and black color scheme, I needed a title. Inspired by the horizontal stripes I put in, which look kind of like flag stripes, I remembered something from my middle school days. Back in the fifth grade we had reading workbooks which also trained us to fill out forms (for good little taxpayers) and answer "true/false" questions. One list of "true/false" questions had some things which seemed absurd, obviously false. One T/F question read: "The flag of the United States is pink and black." I almost wanted to say "True," just so we could have a weird flag.

"The Flag of the USA..." is watercolor and acrylic on illustration board, 10" x 7", fall 1992.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

This would make an interesting quilt!