Thursday, March 31, 2011

Cosmic Lily



I did a series of flower pictures into which I added my characteristic geometric abstraction/astronomical patterns. This series was originally aimed at a gallery but I completely misjudged the needs of the gallery, which was in the affluent suburb of Potomac, Maryland and wanted mostly equestrian and landscape subjects. So I ended up selling these one by one at my usual science fiction conventions. This one is called "Cosmic Lily" and is a Daylily against my favorite spacey blue curved geometrics.

You never know, I may try this "composite" style of abstraction and flower again, but would it still be unsuitable for affluent suburbanites, 20 years later? Who knows. Unlike what is thought of as a "true" artist, I want to sell what I make and move it out of the studio, and if that means adjusting my style or subject matter, that's all right with me. The interesting part for me is solving a problem in an artwork, not "expressing myself." That makes me a commercial artist, even if I don't make much money doing art. Cosmic for cash.

"Cosmic Lily" is watercolor on Fabriano illustration board, 10" x 7", fall 1992.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

I like it, it works for me. But on the subject of trying to make art that sells and not art you "feel", I have tried for years to figure out what "sells" and what does not. While i still have TONS of unsold art, I have been selling much better in the last half dozen years and the "secret" for me it seems is.... DO what I feel! Paint art that I am inspired to do and NOT art thrying to please others! If I try and do stuff I think will sell and that "should" apeal to the masses, NOTHING sells! So doing art for arts sake, art I am happy with seems to be MY best way to make art that will actualy sell!