Thursday, March 17, 2011

Ancient Acropolis



I have been "urban sketching" for decades. This image is almost 28 years old, judging from the date I put on it. This depicts the "Acropolis" restaurant on Massachusetts Avenue in Cambridge, the city where I lived from 1977 to 1988. In those days I was a full-time artist and had plenty of time to draw whatever I pleased (though I didn't make much money). I sketched and documented a lot of places and people around Harvard Square. The "Acropolis," which is long gone, served mediocre Greek food. I didn't eat there very often. But its "classical" facade was, uh, classic. Note the neighboring "Computer Store," a sign of the incredible future that would soon overtake our world.

"Acropolis Restaurant" is ink on sketchbook paper, about 10" x 8", September 9, 1983.

No comments: