Thursday, March 3, 2011

Aeonian Gate



This picture dates from 2001, when I was just beginning to put together geometric space abstractions in acrylic on a larger scale. The design comes from what is known as the "vesica piscis," or "fish bladder" shape, which is derived from the intersection of two circles. I had not worked out the acrylic technique that I used for my later abstractions and this one was done partly in airbrush and partly by hand. It represents a gateway through space, into another universe perhaps. I never got a good photograph of it, so some of the details and colors (in the light colored center, especially) are washed out. The whole composition is inspired by my journey into mathematics and physics, which was quite new when I painted it. The lines coming out of the center represent particle trails, and the curved lines are derived from conic sections as well as the legendary circles.

"Aeonian Gate" is acrylic on Masonite, 24" x 16", August 2001.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

hmmmm, futuristic abstract. Reminds me of a diamond for some reason.