Saturday, February 12, 2011

Iris Deva



Female nudes are essential in fantasy art, but since I struggle with them then and now, I decided to see how one would mix with one of my favorite two-colored purple irises. A "Deva" is a spirit attached to a living thing. In popular Asian belief everything that's alive has a little living spirit that animates it. Trees, plants, and even individual flowers can have devas. Devas look like pretty girl fairies, but without the wings.

I used an old life drawing as model here. I like the pose but my model was kind of tall and athletic and she seems a bit muscular for the part of flower fairy. I present it anyway as part of my fantasy flower series.

"Iris Deva" is watercolor on Fabriano paper, 8" x 10", June 1990.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

I think this is a great figure! The pose flows well and I think the mix of flower and figure also works. Actualy one of your best, most natural looking figures.