Friday, January 21, 2011

Waiting for Triple A



My car battery failed, worn out over three years of continuous use. I could not start the car to move it out of the parking lot near my home. So I called AAA, the American Automobile Association, a service most American drivers know about. While I waited for the rescue truck to arrive, I did these vignette drawings of buildings in my apartment complex. I keep a sketchbook in my car just for occasions like this. The truck arrived on time. Not only was the hardworking driver able to provide a jump-start, but his truck was filled with replacement batteries. I made the decision that I would not want to risk my car in heavy traffic with just a jump-start (it could stall out) and took the option of having Mr. AAA replace my battery, right there in the parking lot. This was done for a price comparable (or probably lower) than what Honda would have charged. The new battery works fine and has a multi-year guarantee. See, some things still work well in this country.

The apartment buildings in these pictures are identical to the one I live in. I have lived in this building for 21 years and I want to leave. I don't want to live in a cramped, cluttered apartment for the rest of my life. But I don't know how I will get out given my limited work and earning options. What I really want for my life is impossible.

No comments: