Friday, January 14, 2011

Cosmic Ruins



This Photoshop sketch is inspired by the wildly complex environments done in digital media by professional SF illustrators. Specifically the work of this artist, Alex Ruiz, who really takes advantage of all the neat stuff Photoshop lets you do. I am not anywhere near the skill level of Ruiz, but I can hope to be at some point in the future.

In this scene, a techno-mage drifts through a place of vast ruins, sustained by his telekinetic bubble platform. I would like one of these bubble platforms for myself. They don't go very fast but they are super for touring above ground or in difficult environments.

Photoshop, 10" x 7", January 14, 2011, about five hours of work.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

Most of Ruiz work looks like scribbles to me! It relys on "special effects" you get from digital and not on good composition or structuraly well done work. If this is what you asspire to, I don't think you will get there since you are MUCH better than that! You may not be able to control digital as well as he does, but your work is much more real, structured and belivable!