Monday, January 31, 2011

Celestial Quilt



I have done a number of designs for master costumer and fabric artist Lisa Ashton. In 1990 I designed astronomically inspired images for her to quilt. She made some of them in small sizes and one in a large size (about 4 feet x 6 feet) which I still have. This design, which has been retrieved from a very poor photograph, was called "Aurora and Meteor Shower." Lisa made this as a moderately sized quilt and it is probably still in her collection. I've designed quilts for other people, too. These are not easy to make and they are definitely not something you throw over the bed. They hang on the wall like "conventional" paintings on canvas or board. I wouldn't mind designing more quilt work as long as I didn't have to do the quilting.

"Aurora and Meteor Shower" is gouache on illustration board, 6" x 9", spring 1990.

No comments: