Monday, December 13, 2010

Archangel Raphael



This Archangel icon is from a set of 4 tiny pieces that I did for some friends back in my occult days of the mid to late '80s. Raphael follows the "standardized" late 19th and 20th century image from angel magic. He's dressed in yellow, his theme color, and he carries a box of healing tools as well as a guide's staff. In those days I was much influenced by stained glass and Tarot cards, and there is some of my characteristic geometric patterning in the back. There's also a science fiction/comic book influence hiding in these angel pictures. Raphael's head looks kind of like one of those superhuman "good guy" aliens who come in their silver UFO's to benefit our backward world.

"Archangel Raphael" is ink and watercolor on Fabriano watercolor paper, about 3" x 5", August 1985.
At one point I marketed cards with these images on them, but not currently.

No comments: