Saturday, April 3, 2010

Fallen "Obelesk"




I've been rummaging through old papers from 1995, trying to throw out what I don't need and pack away the rest. In the file box I found flyers and correspondence from "Obelesk Books," a small press I used to do cover illustrations for. The misspelling of the word "Obelisk" was deliberate though I don't remember why. Obelesk Books specialized in stories about Gay, Lesbian, transgendered, and disabled people, portraying them as heroes. The editor was a female-to-male transgender. I did a number of pieces for them in the mid-90s, all black and white. This Egyptian angel by the fallen obelisk was a design suggested by the editor, and it appeared on advertising flyers sent out by the publisher. The Obelesk Books publishing house is long gone and I wonder what has become of the editor and the writers he published.

"Obelesk" books emblem is 8 5/8" x 3 1/4", ink on illustration board, February 1995.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

I'm not sure I realised this was yours. I used to do alot of work for Obeliesk Books myself. Love this of course.