Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Fire and Air




Here are two more of the "Four Elements and Spirit" series, which I saved from media oblivion. You can see how I worked in the geometric symbol for each element, the red triangle for Fire and the blue circle of Air. I like these images because the constraints of the early computer design program and limited computer power made me keep things simple. You will notice that the typeface on "Fire" is somewhat different from the original typeface which you see on "Air." That is because in rescuing the file as a mac.pict format, the old typeface dropped out and was no longer available. I replaced it with the most similar one I could find in my current font collection.

Are you a "fire," "air," "earth," or "water" person? Sounds like one of those dumb Facebook quizzes, but in esotericism it is a meaningful question. Not only do our personalities resonate with different mythic elements, our world's phenomena can be described mythically by combinations of two symbols. For instance, "water in air" is clouds and rain, "fire in earth" is volcanic magma, "water in earth" is underground springs or the water table, and "earth in air" is windblown dust or ash. Thinking with visual quasi-religious symbols, while completely unscientific, is a way to mythologize the physical world and give it meaning.

After three years of not doing much, I am back doing mathematics and I hope to return to my basic physics studies as well. I am considering re-starting my old math and physics and philosophical blog, ELECTRON BLUE, to write about things which aren't about visual art, which goes here. Or perhaps, should I write about my math and physics studies here too? I don't want to bore my little crew of readers. If I re-started the Electron, it would be a Blogspot blog as a companion to this one, with a link in case you were interested. Any comments would be welcome.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I was out of town and couldn't post earlier, but I for one would be very happy to see Electron Blue restarted. It always provided me some much-needed perspective, and a very unusual and interesting perspective at that...