Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Algorithm 2



My friend Tristan hates these digitally colored doodles of mine, but they serve an important purpose for me. I get to try out more geometric abstractions in miniature form, coloring them in with a medium that allows me not only to do it in seconds, but to change it at will.

My geometric abstractions are designed by means of a formula, an algorithm. This is a step-by-step progressive instruction on how to build something. It's like a recipe. In this case, this is "Algorithm 2" of my set of formulas on how to build one of these designs. Algorithm 2 says, "Bounce straight lines off the inner edges of a polygon, somewhat at random, until you have enough shapes to work with. Then color them in. Don't use curved lines." That ought to do it. There should be endless numbers of these algorithms to invent, which will stave off abstract boredom, at least for a while.

Original is a tiny ink drawing about 3.25" x 2.25", colored in Photoshop.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

In this case, except for the center panel, the whole thing has a wonderful stained glass look. So while I don't like the digital part or the abstract part, I like the overall feel of this, just because is looks so stained glass. :)