Saturday, October 10, 2009

Mister Tire




Finally, an authentic, drawn-on-site urban sketch, fresh from the sketchbook. Size: about 10" x 6". It was a bright, unseasonably warm day in Tysonia, and I drew this vista while I was waiting for my car to be inspected at Honda of Tysons Corner, down the block. Here is the bright and cheerful home of "Mr. Tire," and his welcoming garage bays. What if cars had consciousness? I sometimes imagine a universe where all objects, not just humans and animals, were sentient. In such a universe, how would we negotiate the rights of things we used, or consumed? Or would we be a more brutal and practical bunch, and just use things without their consent, with no empathy for their joy, pain or feelings. I'll stop now.

3 comments:

emikk said...

wow! this is getting deep!

Unknown said...

After two days of scenes I'd seen often personally (Harvard Square and Stanford MemChu), the streak "alas" ends. I've not had the "pleasure" of seeing Mr. Tire.

Mary said...

Considering how we treat most of our food animals and considering how widespread slavery was for most of history before the industrial revolution, I'd say there's no chance we'd take the feelings of the toaster into account...