Sunday, September 13, 2009

Space Flower




I love gardening and plants almost as much as I love art. So I tried to combine the two with space flowers. This is a rendering of a spaceship in the form of a Columbine flower. The rear of the spaceship is towards the upper left, and is emitting a propulsion trail of green gas. This picture was done in 1985, and is acrylic on Strathmore illustration board, 12" x 21". The top is somewhat empty because I hoped that it might be bought for a science fiction book cover, and the title and writing would go there. No book cover happened, though the picture was bought by a fan in 1986.

Looking back from now at my old science fiction pictures, I think of how I could have made their compositions more exciting. This picture could have been so much better if I had done a close-up view turned more towards the viewer, with less space around it, and the attendant ships more visible and active. I'm not about to go back to this concept any time soon, though.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

I love this! The way the ship glows and the design being both mechanical and natural is great!