Saturday, September 5, 2009

Atlas Shrugged: First image


As some of you know, I have been re-reading Ayn Rand's ATLAS SHRUGGED in a rather bits-and-pieces way, with the idea of illustrating some sequences from the book in a graphic novel style. I have been experimenting with another graphic illustration style, currently known as the "noir" style since it takes its inspiration from film noir. Rand was a screenwriter for Hollywood movies and she wrote ATLAS during the heyday of the film noir style. I think the graphic novel format can work for visualizing Rand's extremely wordy book.

I wouldn't try to do long sections, let alone the whole book. Ayn Rand's books are under serious copyright rules and any commercial publication of illustrations would involve a lot of legal negotiation. Any sequential art I do from ATLAS SHRUGGED (or other work of Rand's) is purely in the realm of experimentation. I've always wanted to to character portraits and concept studies as well, so you will see them here.

This scene is the very first scene in the book, where Eddie Willers, the assistant to the main character, walks on a New York street wondering why things look so bad. A homeless man (the shadow to the right) asks him for spare change. More of this sequence forthcoming. Drawing is ink on notebook paper, 6" x 7".

1 comment:

kevinpnolte said...

I love the idea of creating illustrations that you've suggested.
I didn't realize that there is such tight copyrights. In fact, I was thinking of doing some "storyboards" for a potential movie. I believe you are on the right tract in the form of a novelette in noir.