Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Artisan Breads Fresh Daily



I haven't posted much Trader Joe's art these days. Some of that absence was due to my vacation in the mountains, but another reason is that most of the major sign art I was doing is finished and there isn't much room for more. So most of what I do now at Trader Joe's is plain lettering, whether on miniature price tags or on bigger signs like this one, advertising our handmade artisan bread. Which is delicious by the way. This sign, in acrylic spray paint and markers on foamboard, is about 24 inches wide.



I have been working at Trader Joe's long enough so that I have to re-create signs when the prevailing style and theme of the decor changes. I painted this version of the "artisan bread" sign in 2005, when our decor was not mid-Twentieth Century but late Nineteenth Century, "country store" style. I liked this sign so much that when it was decommissioned, I claimed it and took it home for my collection. It is still on my wall after four years. This sign is 22 1/2" x 16 1/2", and it is acrylic on Masonite. The newer sign probably will not last as long as the older sign, being on a lighter and more fragile material. I often see my signs destroyed, or thrown out when they are no longer useful.

No comments: