Wednesday, June 24, 2009

White-clad Heralds and Magic Horses




There were other fantasy writers whose works I illustrated in the early and mid-90s. Mercedes Lackey was one of them. I was introduced to her "Valdemar" series by Darkover fans. Valdemar, Lackey's imaginary world, existed in a perpetual Renaissance which featured palace intrigues, tragic heroes, bardic magic, psychic powers, a bit of swashbuckling, romance both gay and straight, and last but not least, magical white horses which bond to psychically endowed humans called Heralds. These chosen folk dress all in white and go around the world doing good and fighting evil. Music is magic too in this land, with "Bardic Gifts" as a form of magic, hence the enchanted guitar.

The artist Jody Lee, whose work makes me gnash my teeth with jealousy, has illustrated the Lackey books for decades. I regret to say that I have done some truly dreadful art illustrating Lackey and the one you see above is probably the least bad. Perhaps I just wasn't that into it. I will spare you the rest.
"Herald with Guitar," watercolor on illustration board, 7" x 10", March 1991.

No comments: