Friday, June 26, 2009

Mage Portrait




One thing I really wish I could do better is portraits of pretty characters. Popular fantasy art is packed with pretty humans and humanoids, but it seems whenever I try to depict one or the other, something goes wrong and it just isn't pretty. I want to be a real fantasy artist and do beautiful scantily clad or nude women. Beautiful women. Beautiful babes. Beautiful girls. Beautiful boys and men too.

This one almost made it. It is a portrait of a real person named Christopher. His portrait is idealized. He didn't quite look like that. Probably now he is fat, old, and bald. He was pretty once, though. He commissioned me to do his portrait as a working Mage, in his magical den, with his not so magical St. Bernard dog. The picture is OK, but it isn't ravingly good either. I painted it in December 1990, in watercolor and opaque acrylic on illustration board, 16" x 20".

No comments: