Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Dragon Lord's Portrait




Adrienne Martine-Barnes was associated with Marion Zimmer Bradley's circle of authors in the early 80s. In 1982 she published "The Dragon Rises" which was a combination of romance novel, fantasy, and science fiction. One of the characters was Guilherme, a Dragon Lord warrior general and love object (I think.). It's been a millennium since I read this book. 

I used to do miniature portraits which were used as decorative nametags at science fiction conventions. I have a costumer friend who has created and worn costumes for the role of Martine-Barnes' Guilherme. I did a nametag miniature for him many years ago, but recently he did another Guilherme costume and asked for another portrait in the new get-up. This is the updated portrait. He's somewhat older than the earlier one but I think it makes him a better fit for the role. (He can see out both eyes, by the way, the eye patch is for the costume.) The black area on the bottom is where the name is lettered. I have removed the name for this display.

Nametag miniature is ink and watercolor on watercolor paper, 3 1/2" x 2 1/4".

No comments: